The Pittsburgh Dream Center has made a huge impact on Pittsburgh neighborhoods, reaching out to the community with focuses on community spirit, hunger relief, children’s needs, and discipleship. Continuing RJ Lee Group’s tradition of choosing a charity organization to support for the year, our Group Troop service organization was happy to present Gary Brougher, Founder of the Pittsburgh Dream Center, with a check for $3,700. These funds were raised throughout 2015 for the organization.
The Dream Center’s many outreach programs, events, and activities include:
- Adopt-a-Block – Volunteers adopt a block as their own, going door-to-door to meet the residents’ basic needs. Acts of service include picking up trash, mowing lawns, planting flowers, washing windows, painting house exteriors, shoveling snow, and much more. The goal is to build relationships with residents and assist them in gaining value of their own block and community.
- Backpack of Hope – This program helps combat child hunger. Every week during the school year, backpacks are given to children (selected by nurses and teachers) with simple foods to ensure they have enough to eat over the weekend. The backpacks are dropped off at schools where the issue of hunger is greatest. RJ Lee Group employees packed 300 bags of food to be distributed to 78 students in January 2016 for the Backpack program.
- Midnight Call – Volunteers travel to Pittsburgh each weekend to minister to the homeless, drug addicts, and others, by taking food, blankets, and various important items.
- Food Distribution – A mobile food bank travels to several neighborhoods throughout the city to families who cannot go to food bank locations on their own.
- Dream Center Distribution Center – Opened in 2014, this center helps meet the tangible needs of individuals who are struggling with basic necessities, such as food, hygiene items, clothing, and household items.
The Group Troop held many fundraising events during 2015 for the Dream Center initiative, including a school supply drive, pop-up pretzel sales, a holiday gift wrapping service, ice cream sales, a Halloween pumpkin sale, plant sale, bake sale, and a holiday gift basket raffle.
Founded in 2009, the Group Troop is made up of employees who wish to promote RJ Lee Group’s community involvement. An annual vote is held company-wide, allowing employees to choose which charity they wish to support for the year. The Pittsburgh Dream Center won the vote for 2015, along with the annual contributions made to the Make-a-Wish Foundation, a local holiday food drive, and the Polar Plunge for the Special Olympics.
About RJ Lee Group
RJ Lee Group is an industrial forensics and consulting firm providing innovative solutions to challenges in materials characterization, forensic engineering, and information management. For 30 years, we have been using our scientific expertise, instrumentation and technology to offer support strategies and provide solutions to our customers. RJ Lee Group’s headquarters are located in the suburbs of Pittsburgh in Monroeville, Pa.