Our company was forged in the Steel City, but our metallurgical laboratory capabilities and expertise encompass much more than steel.
Our clients have access to more than a collective century of metallurgical experience.
Matthew J. Perricone, Ph.D. Industry Contact
The modern world relies on metals and alloys of all kinds to provide infrastructure and function. However, knowing how these metals perform under various structural and environmental conditions often determines the choice of material. Design engineers, suppliers, and end users rely on RJ Lee Group for scientific and analytical support in metals of all varieties: ferrous and non-ferrous alloys, used in structural, electrical/electronic, and ornamental applications. We function as an extension of our client’s organization (quality control, product/alloy development) or as a third party (quality assurance, warranty claims, failure analysis).
Metallurgical Laboratory Services
Data you can rely on, experts you can trust.
Our metallurgical laboratory augments the technical capabilities of many of our clients and is a critical problem-solving resource for them. Because our capabilities are so diverse, our services can include wide-ranging projects such as root cause failure analysis, evaluating the effect of melt practice on finished product, characterizing coatings/surface treatments, examining nano-scopic thin films, or analyzing melt shop waste streams for recoverables.
Our extensive services include, but are not limited, to the following. We evaluate our clients’ technical challenges and select the analytical technique(s) best suited in providing scientific resolution.
NOTE: Many of our instruments are networked, which provides opportunity for our clients to virtually witness their analyses in many cases.
Metallurgical Failure Analysis
- Demonstrated experience across industries
- Field deployable staff and equipment for onsite evaluations
Full-Service Metallography Laboratory
- No limitation on use of etchants
- Rockwell hardness testing
- Micro-hardness testing (Knoop, Vickers)
- Field deployable capabilities
- Specialized Sample Preparation Services
- Electrojet polishing
- Tripod/wedge polishing
- Extraction/replication of surfaces (field deployable)
Full-Service Chemistry Laboratory
- Optical Microscopy
- Stereo microscopy for fracture surfaces
- Light optical microscopy for microstructures
- Polarized light microscopy
- Field deployable capabilities
Largest Commercially Available Suite of Electron Microscopes in U.S.
- Full suite of SEMs available, including variable pressure, large chamber, and field emission instruments
- HRSEM, TEM, STEM for nanoscopic investigations
- Compositional mapping
- Computer-controlled analyses available
Environmental and Corrosion Testing
- Product-specific simulations or standard analyses
- Accelerated life testing in simulated service environments
- Corrosion coupon field deployment and analysis
Surface and Interfacial Analysis
- XPS for surface analysis, depth profiling (thin films, corrosion studies)
- Raman/FTIR for organic surface contaminants
Product Development Support
- QA/QC analytical support
- Identification and qualification of materials
- Manufacturing process troubleshooting and evaluation
- Warranty/Product Returns third party analysis
- Waste stream evaluation for recoverables
Non-Destructive Evaluations (field deployable)
- Dye penetration
- Magnetic particle inspection
- Impact echo
Powdered Metal Characterization for 3D Printing Services
- Flow and packing behavior by CCSEM
- Particle size and shape distribution
- Compositional information by EDS
- Particulate contamination analysis
For more information, please call us at 1.800.860.1775, option 1, then 5, then 3, or click below.