- Industrial Forensics Services
- Laboratory Services
- Litigation Services
- Laboratory Informatics Solutions
Mining & Minerals
RJ Lee Group works with you to explore and develop minerals and earth materials while protecting the environment.
Our science helps companies be responsible stewards of healthy environments and people.
Drew R. Van Orden, P.E. Industry Contact
Major mining and mineral processing operations in the U.S., Brazil, China and beyond call upon us to reduce the environmental footprint of the mining process. We can meet your requirements for maintaining a safe and clean surface and underground mining environment by providing prevention and control techniques such as:
- OSHA, MSHA and EPA-mandated analytical methods if you routinely conduct compliance monitoring for asbestos, crystalline silica, metals and vapors.
- Routine monitoring and analysis of air samples for ambient, combustible and flammable gases.
- Analysis of surface and groundwater samples to determine baseline water chemistry so changes such as contamination can be easily recognized.
- Identification of underground environmental problems such as dusts, temperature, and humidity.
- Assessment of natural and mechanical ventilation systems.
- Characterization of mine waste.
Our materials experts will consult with you when you need forensic analyses related to material selection, failure analysis and material/environmental factors. Common occurrences often include corrosion on mining systems such as haulage operations (belt conveyors and hoists), fluid power systems (pumps, compressors and piping), and on other secondary systems needed to support mining operations. We can also model predictions of component life based on your service environment. When you are ready to develop an equipment preventive maintenance program to ensure optimum usability, our systems reliability group can provide decision support tools to collect, combine, process and analyze divergent data that assists in that process.
Geological Exploration and Mineralogical Site Assessments
When you require data to make decisions on mergers, acquisitions, or for due diligence; when you need accurate reserve assessment and resource estimation, or appraisals for target generation, our certified professional geologists will conduct field inspections for contract exploration and assessment that include a fully digital customized GIS database ready to identify potential growth opportunities.
In the process of evaluating mineral locations, there are times when caution must be observed because of the potentially hazardous nature of the minerals. Understanding the sub-surface geology mitigates risk and safety concerns by using proper sampling techniques for minerals, such as naturally occurring asbestos, crystalline silica and heavy metals. Our roots in environmental and particulate studies provide the experience and the support needed to safely assess active operations and greenfield sites.
3D Geologic Block Modeling
We use TECHBASE® software to produce proprietary and customized 3D digital databases and map documents tailored to your specific needs and areas of study. This comprehensive software package includes a database manager, quality 3D graphics, essential statistics and powerful modeling tools that go beyond basic data storage. When viewing the multiple customized layouts we generate, you will be able to estimate the proven, probable and possible reserves of your site that will assist in your decision making process.
Running cleaner, smarter mining and mineral operations involves a careful balance of environmental, legal, regulatory and business priorities. Our services include:
- Determination of mineral composition of mined ore or finished products, including characterization of any regulated or potentially regulated minerals.
- Investigation of raw and in-process materials to ensure they meet client specifications and regulatory requirements, and to identify material variation and potential contamination.
- Compilation of data for product certification and quality standards.
- Geological evaluations of mines and quarries.
- Third-party laboratory validation studies.
- Litigation support.
- Collaboration with agency, industry and toxicology experts on extensive investigations. Many of these investigations result in testimony before regulatory bodies.
In the identification and characterization of minerals, our analysts use the best-suited techniques including, X-Ray Diffraction (XRD) to establish crystallographic patterns, X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) to determine concentrations of selected elements, wet chemistry techniques for gravimetric and volumetric concentration, electron microscopy (SEM, TEM) and optical microscopy (PCM, PLM). The variety of minerals to analyze, constituents to be determined, matrix compositions encountered all present challenges. RJ Lee Group accepts those challenges.