We identify the unknown substances that can threaten your product and manufacturing process and help determine their source.
Unknown Substance Identification
How Do We Approach an Unknown Substance?
Substances can be differentiated from one another by examining their physical and chemical properties. Our first step is to gather as much information as possible as to the source and history of the substance and the reasons for the analysis. This gives us a basis for not only determining what it might be, but also what it might not be. We then consider the physical properties which do not change during the analysis and then the chemical properties which react when analyzed. Whether you need to identify an unknown substance, provide confirmation of a substance, determine source, compare properties or uncover a counterfeit product, our experts have the combination of in-depth knowledge and preferred instrumentation to provide the answers you need. Some methods and technologies we use include:
- Gas Chromatography (GC)
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectroscopy (GC-MS)
- Ion Chromatography (IC)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Dispersive Raman Spectroscopy
- Fourier Transfer Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Crystallography: X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) and X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
- Thermogravimetric Analysis / Differential Scanning Calorimetry