A History of Expertise and Innovation
RJ Lee Group has assessed environmental issues since the early 1980s when our Energy Technology Consultants (ETC) pioneered the recognition of specific air quality patterns. We developed a cutting-edge technique for identifying, measuring, and characterizing particles in the air using computer-controlled scanning electron microscopy (CCSEM).
RJ Lee Group has worked with clients in various industries, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), to assess and provide solutions for environmental factors that could affect our health. Our services have grown over the years, from setting controls for unbound nanoparticles (UNP) to designing and building test chambers to simulate specific environmental conditions.
Today we offer our expertise for our clients’ environmental and compliance concerns and perform rigorous assessment and management of potential environmental risks.
Construction Consulting Services
At RJ Lee Group's Construction Materials Group, we are your concrete materials experts. Our accredited, industry-leading laboratory is here to help you address a broad range of concrete construction defects and durability-related issues. We consult with you to determine root causes and provide solutions for new construction and existing structures. Our experts thrive on challenging projects and are supported by a team of expert chemists, mineralogists, materials scientists, and metallurgists.
Our Clients Include
- Owners (commercial and government agencies)
- Structural engineers and architects
- Concrete producers (QC and technical services)
- Concrete Durability
Concrete Strength and Durability
Concrete strength is essential, but it's not the only factor. Durability matters to maintain properties over time. Issues can manifest years after construction. Laboratory investigations are vital to determine root causes and mechanisms, helping engineers design repairs and estimate service life.
Petrographic Analysis and More
We are the only USACE-validated laboratory for petrographic examination of concrete in the northeastern and mid-Atlantic regions. Our experts use standard methods, including optical and modern scanning electron microscopy techniques, to quickly identify root causes of concrete failures and distress.
With petrographic analysis, we can help you:
- Identify common causes of concrete failure.
- Determine the "as-built" concrete mix design.
- Analyze aggregates prior to construction.
- Characterize petrographic properties.
- Conduct total sulfur analysis.
- Assess iron staining potential of lightweight aggregates.
Our industrial forensics approach combines corrosion and concrete expertise to support engineering firms. We offer:
- Chemical analysis of construction materials.
- Analysis of cement and fly ashes.
- Evaluation of architectural coatings, membranes, and paints.
- In-house physical tests for durability and porosity.
- In-situ nondestructive testing of concrete structures.
Forensic Investigations and Litigation Support
Our concrete materials experts have extensive experience in forensic investigations and legal disputes. We provide:
- Site visits and sample collection.
- Forensic laboratory investigations.
- Evidence preservation and chain of custody.
- Expert report preparation.
- Pre-trial discovery and document review.
- Mediation, arbitration, expert deposition, and courtroom testimony.
Innovation and Professional Service
We actively partner with universities on cutting-edge research projects. Recent projects include:
- Vibro-acoustic NDE of ASR-Affected Concrete.
- Online Monitoring System for Concrete Structures Affected by Alkali-Silica Reaction (ASR).
- Boron Concrete for Active Formation of Lithium.
Our experts hold leadership roles and actively contribute to technical organizations like the American Concrete Institute (ACI), ASTM International, and RILEM, developing industry standards and best practices guides.
April E. Snyder
Construction Materials Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Ms. Snyder has over 20 years’ experience in concrete petrographic studies and serves as the Construction Materials Laboratory Manager at RJ Lee Group. She conducts evaluations of cementitious materials to identify failure and distress mechanisms using petrographic techniques in combination with chemical and physical testing. Ms. Snyder is a leader in the application of scanning electron microscopy with energy dispersive spectroscopy (SEM/EDS) techniques to cementitious materials.
How AeroTech Secured Its Future
When AeroTech Industries faced recurring defects in a crucial aircraft component, they were at risk of losing multi-million dollar contracts and jeopardizing the jobs of hundreds of employees. They enlisted the help of RJ Lee Group, who quickly deployed a team of technical experts. Through state-of-the-art forensic analysis, RJ Lee Group identified and rectified the root cause—a flaw in the casting process—eliminating the defect and preserving AeroTech's contracts.
Discuss Your Construction Consulting Needs with an Expert
Choose RJ Lee Group's Construction Materials Group for your concrete expertise needs. We are committed to strengthening and ensuring the durability of your structures.